Google

Thursday, November 13, 2008

Promises?

You know what? I think it would be interesting to look at the difference between saying you will do something and a promise. First let me admit straight up that I personally, see no difference at all! It seems that others do not share my opinion.

Recently, it seems, I have a lot of people telling me that they will do things within a certain time frame, and cannot seem to manage the doing or the time frame. To me that is the same as breaking a promise.

I find it extremely frustrating to have someone tell me "I can take care of that in a week" to have them come back in two weeks to simply repeat the qualifiers of the question I asked them two weeks ago, that they said they could answer in one! See how that leads to frustration?

Now, when it comes to the qualification of it being a "promise," I don't know maybe not. They did not say "I promise" so should it feel like a broken promise? Technically I guess not, but still it feels like it to me.

Pretty nonspecific in the situation I know that, I did this on purpose. It is the idea of the mentality here. I do not expect perfection, but I think if you can't do what you said you would that you would at least say, "you know what, I cannot fulfill the time frame", "how about we clarify the need". You know something. Otherwise I have no choice than to call you repeatedly and say "hey where is that answer" "where do we stand on that issue we talked about" "EXCUSE ME, we talked about this issue last week and you said next week ..... well, it is past next week!"

I do not think my expectations are too high on this one. I know they have been in the past, but not this time.

Peace and Love (even if you can't keep a promise)

LeePsycho

Donate