Google

Friday, November 7, 2008

Why Not?

Early estimates are that between 126.5 million and 128.5 million Americans cast ballots this election. Now that is a record, the previous record was 122.2 million in the 2004 election.

But, while the voter turnout percentage was also expected to shatter the modern record of 67% set in 1960 when Kennedy beat the pants off Nixon; the current estimates are between 60.7 and 61.7%.

When are Americans going to get it? When are we going to learn that WE are ultimately responsible for both the successes and mistakes of one of the most powerful people in the world, because WE vote to put them there.

By my calculations, and they could be and generally are incorrect, 50.5 million registered voters did not cast ballots. WHY?

Are you counting on your neighbor to vote the way you wanted to? Are you so busy that you can't take the time? Are you just ignorant and don't realize that one vote in many can make a difference? Just ask Al Gore the importance of a single vote! Don't get me wrong I am extremely happy with the outcome of this election everyone I voted for was elected that I know of, except myself who I wrote in on two lines of my local election ballot as a local representative. I only did that because there was no one to vote for printed on the ballot and I pretty much know everyone back in Hoxie, Kansas.

I just don't understand why we have such low voter turnout in the most important elections in the world.

Maybe someone can explain it to me someday, I don't know!

Peace and Love

Lee

No comments:

Donate